Aug 14, 2012

Bedtime tales... in my own way

I usually tell bedtime tales to my children. I used to read something from a book, or projecting something from my childhood collection, I had many classic tales from famous writters as Grimm, Andersen or from the Hungarian folklore. We - my wife and me - projected them the slide show with my nearly 20-years-old Russian projektor. But found something new...

I have started to tell them the classi bedtime stories in my own way, which means I spiced the tales with rolling dice. When I'm telling them the story of Little Red Ridding Hood, there is the possibility the little girl found another animal in the woods. And after a successful diceroll she miss the encounter, or it turns out the another animal is just a rabbit (not from the movie Monthy Python and the Holy Grail.) :)


The kids enjoy very much these kind of tales. They like rolling the colorful dice. I have many tiny 6-sided dice in many colors, as I have d4, d10, d12, d20 and d100 as well. So I have many opportunity to change the way of the tales. I think - in that way - the line is very thin between the roll-playing game and role-playing game. After I have finished a tale I mix the dice, and suggest to my daughter and son to collect together the same colors as Cinderella did in the tale. 

Unfortunately my wife doesn't like these kind of games, and kids are too young for a complex game yet, but maybe about 2-3 years later they will play with me. Maybe not Dungeons & Dragons or M.A.G.U.S, but something similar rpg.

A little bit strange, but my wife loves my stories which I tell the children. I'm trying to not put freaky or too bad things to the tales. But I think many tales of Grimm and the Hungarian folklore are simple horror stories. They can frighten the children.
What do you think about the horror content of the classic bedtime tales? What do you think about my 'new-style-bedtime-storytelling'?

6 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

That is a really creative way to tell your kids stories! Hope they do want to play D&D when they are older.

RaveAir said...

I hope so. ;)

nutschell said...

what a great way to tell your kids stories. they're lucky!

Nutschell
www.thewritingnut.com

ediFanoB said...

That is a very creative way to tell your kinds stories.
My daughter did not want us to tell stories. We always had to read from a book. I remember that she learned some of the stories by heart and we read the story again she got angry every time we used a wrong word!

Little Rabbit said...

Your wife might be the perfect challenge for you...
Have you ever tried to play "these kind of games" with her? Perhaps you should try :P

Charmaine Clancy said...

I love this idea of storytelling! I'm going to try this idea for writing stories. In our house we recently started playing Dungeons and Dragons - the kids love it and my favourite part is where you roll the dice to see where the story takes you :)