Sep 17, 2012

Genre Favorites Blogfest

I deceided to participate my blogger-friend, the author of some great great books, Ninja Captain Alex J. Cavanaugh's actual blogfest, the Genre Favorites Blogfest. I'll try to use out the advantage of the local timezone and finish my post before the others. I've admit I was lazy to wrote it before, so I'm writting it now live, without any pre-schedule.

Favourite genre of MOVIE:

I knew as I looked to the first category it means very big problem to me, because I love more than 1 genre, but I have to choose 1 of them. At the first round I reduced my favourites to three: fantasy, sci-fi and based on comics. Maybe this third category doesn't exist so I deducted that one from the list. I'm still before the big decision because definatelly hard to vote one of my favourite. Maybe I'll break the rules when I say draw between fantasy and science fiction. Below you can see my reasons.

Fantasy: If you look into the past and try to find good - I mean really good - fantasy films you can find only one film (or filmseries) The Lord of the rings. But if you look in to the things deeper you can found other good films from the past. I have to mention only the classic, the one-and-only real Star Wars trilogy. It's a classic fantasy with knights, magic, valor and princess... but in space environment!

Sci-fi: I've admit I love the space and I love the science, but not every movie takes place in space means it's science-fiction (see Star Wars). I love the sci-fi movies when I have to thing about consequences of decisions, or think about the realisticness of the future. Sometimes I fell like we're already live in the future with great gadgets, but it's also cause a horrible feelings to. 

Favourite genre of MUSIC:

It was the easiest choice...
Rave: I still love rave music, and I can't explain why. Maybe about the rawness and the high BPM. These style really fast... Unfortuntely it's completely die to the 21st century, and the UK happy hardcore or much slower electronic musics are pure mockeries. I embeded one of my favourites:

Favourite genre of BOOKS:

I didn't allow myself the luxury to pick more than one favorite genre, so I choiced:
Fantasy: This genre give me the most pleasure and entertainment. I can completely switch-off my mind and I can imagine anything. While the sci-fi give some borders to a story, in the case of fantasy there are NO barriers. Luckily in genre of fantasy I can find the pulp-fiction and high-concept fantasy as well. I know I have to recite the name of great authors like Steven Erikson and George R. R. Martin, but as I sad I like the lighter books from authors like R. A. Salvatore or Elaine Cunningham. And I would be unfair if I have don't mention the writer of the mind-blowing Dark Tower series, Stephen King.

Guilty pleasure genre of movie:

It was also a hard decision... to choose a music genre (trance), or a book genre (sci-fi, detective stories or steampunk), but I choiced the previously mentioned
Comicbooks adaptions from movie category: At the past 3-5 years the comicbooks adaptations were the greatest hits to me. Due to the development of movie creating technologies these kind of films improved a lot, and we can believe these things can be real. We can see our childhood heroes on the big screens of movie theathers, and we don't think they're lames as we think the early Batman movies/series. Now we can believe Tony Start is a real person, Peter Parker able to walk on walls and the Avengers able to defend our planet at the end.
But I must admit the older comicbooks heroes have an ancient, nostalgic charm. We could love the old Batman and Superman with their underpants on their paints. And I still love the noir-feeling Sin City as the alternative history from the cold-war period of the Watchmen.

It was my post about my favorite genres. Maybe I should had found some other pictures and youtube videos to decorate the post, but I have to 5 hours left to early get up. So, maybe next time... ;)

Oh, I almost forgot. If you interested more about this blogfest and the other participants choices, then please visit will visit Alex J. Cavanaugh's blogpost!

27 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

We both like the same movie and book genres, and for similar reasons.
Thanks for participating in my blogfest!

Unknown said...

Fantasy and Sci Fi are great choices, but Rav gives me a headache :/ Great thing about these blogfests is meeting new people like you!

Cathy Olliffe-Webster said...

I'm so old, I really am. The only thing I "rave" about is the price of groceries! :)

RaveAir said...

@Alex: Your welcome!

@Siv Maria: We're different. ;)

@Cathy Olliffe-Webster: You aren't old, because you still have the sense of humour. ;)

Yolanda Renée said...

I feel old too, I picked the books and others have picked the movies made from the books. Yet, it's all the same -- Fantasy, Sci-Fi, love it!

Unknown said...

i don't know what rave is, so i am old... i wondering if you could share up one more group or two...

Jeremy [Retro-Zombie]
Howlin' Wolf Records: On-Line Magazine

RaveAir said...

The rave exists roughly between 1993-1998, which is not a long period. The genre has mostly British, German and Hollander roots. The teams or individual djs came from these contries, like: Ravers Nature, Dune, Scooter, Charlie Lownoise & Methal Theo, Marusha, Westbam, Blümchen, Das Modul, etc.

Annalisa Crawford said...

I'm really looking forward to the new Superman film due out next year!

Never got into rave though - too old, probably :-)

J.L. Campbell said...

Not familiar with Rave music, but your explanation in the comments is a good intro.

Michael Di Gesu said...

LOVED RAVE music. I was a model at the time and it was all the RAVE... pardon the pun. LOl


Nice to meet you, Zolta'n. I am over from the blogfest!

Nancy Thompson said...

I've never read any fantasy, but I loved HBO's version of George R. R, Martin's Game of Thrones!

Bryan Thomas said...

Fantasy does seem to be all the rage in genre these days, outselling scifi 3 to 1 in most cases.Not a rave guy (too old I suppose) but I do enjoy comic book movies when well done. Unfortunately many have not been of late.

Allison said...

I still have to read the Dark Tower series. It sounds really good.

Allison (Geek Banter)

jaybird said...

I also love Sci Fi and Fantasy. And I have to agree with you, Lord of the Rings is an amazing adaptation.

Also, even though I'm older now, I still think a little Rave music is fun now and again!

Timothy S. Brannan said...

Great list!

Tim Brannan
http://timbrannan.blogspot.com/

N. R. Williams said...

Hi Zoltan
Nice to meet you. You're right about the amazing comic book movies now. So real. Yet, who can out do Superman?
Nancy

Christine Rains said...

Interesting list! I love the old comics too. There's something gritty about them compared to the flash of the newer stuff.

Tamara said...

Great list. Stephen King's Gunslinger Series is one of my all time favorite series. You picked the perfect adjective. Mind blowing.

I know it's supposedly for kids, but have you read the "His Dark Materials" trilogy by Phillip Pullman? Those are awesome as well.

Nice to meet you!

Aldrea Alien said...

I've always considered Star Wars as Science Fantasy.

In full agreement with the diversity of fantasy. It's probably my main reason why I rarely leave the genre. ^_^

James Garcia Jr said...

Hey, Zoltan. Good to meet you. Thanks for sharing and for joining the big blogfest.
Take care and have a good week!

-Jimmy
http://jamesgarciajr.blogspot.com/

Jess @ The Secret DMS Files of Fairday Morrow said...

It's great to close off everything and escape into a fantasy- Middle Earth is a fabulous realm to relax into : ) I am participating in the blogfest as well (#127 Fairday's Blog!) ~ Jess

M.J. Fifield said...

The Dark Tower series were the first Stephen King books I ever read. And I only did that because of its genre.

Anonymous said...

Sci-fi definitely can be a nail biter at times. This was an enjoyable blog post to read:)

Misha Gerrick said...

We share a lot of favorites, although I can safely say that I never understood Rave Music. :-)

Anonymous said...

Interesting! I love fantasy too but I'm still not quite sure what RAVE is. As I've been telling people on this bloghop, I don't know much about music. I just listen to whatever is on the radio :-/

I'm now following you! Please check out my blog and my own entry in the bloghop:

avantikachitturi.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

Dropping by from the Genre Blogfest.

What you call guilty pleasure is my favourite: comic book adaptations. Not necessarily because they were once comic books, but because they tend to be action. I <3 action movies.

Shannon Lawrence said...

Love, love, love the Dark Tower series! I'm still waiting for them to pick a good Roland and start making the film of it.

My Genre Favorites & Guilty Pleasures